Monday, January 28, 2008

Shanghai

After a week and a half at work I went on my first business trip. Down to sunny Shanghai. I had no idea why I was going but it could have been because I am in charge of implementing the Interactive TV system to the hotel. We (myself and Joy, our IT-manager) got picked up in the early morning. Traffic to the airport was unbelievable. Good thing we left early. Quick through check-in. Had a western coffee before take-off. The worst caffe-latte I have had in my life. But the girls serving were nice and helpful. When I think about domestic trips, I think about small airplanes with no service just taking you from A to B. But domestic trips chinese-style are different. Huge planes...this one was a Boeing 777 and breakfast is served. Most passengers fell aslepp as soon as they sat down...and they are not quiet. Breakfast was served and it was also a surprise. Yoghurt, water, small salad with smoked meat of some sort, rice/been curd porridge and the special marinated egg that you get everywhere. It has been marinated (I think) in soy sauce giving it a salty taste. It is therefore a brown egg. Does not look good, but it tastes ok. Touch down Shanghai and pickup at the airport by representatives of the supplier who also paid for the whole trip. Crazy traffic again. Got to Shanghai cit in time for lunch. And what a lunch. Traditional Chinese style. Very formal. Around 15 dishes placed on a turning table in the middle of the dining table. Tried it all, some better than others. Its a new experience sitting for 1 1/2 hours without understanding nothing of what people around you are saying. Just smile! After that I did some site inspections to two hotels to look at their Interactive TV systems. Quite interesting. Even got time to do a little bit of shopping. Tried out Shanghais most famous shopping street under the command of my guide Lisa. The supplier told her to accompanying me. No shoes in my size (the had 252 and 253) but most places had some kind of sale because of the Chinese New Year approaching soon. Took the subway to Shangri-La hotel for dinner. I expected a small personal dinner but I was again mistaken. A was rushed into a huge function room and directed to the VIP table. What the heck was this??? I was the only westerner in the room. Probably the youngest also. But there I was, surrounded by hotel executives, IT-managers and consultants. The dinner started at 6:30 PM. It was a 12 course dinner with wine and tea. It is customary here in China to taste every dish so it was just to grab those chopsticks and dig in. Most is ok. Some other stuff are worse To my surprise there was entertainment. Games and a magician! Not bad! The chinese people love playing games. Like at our housewarming party. Many guests came up to me to introduce themselves, handing over their business card and expecting one in return....but no. I have not been issued any. So I just told them who I was, what I was doing here and that I really enjoyed China. I just loved the face of the Cisco executive when he asked me how many years I had been in China.....1 1/2 week!!!! We left in a hurry at around 8 PM to make our way to the airport. Personal chauffeur. Plane was due to leave at 10 PM. Got back to Beijing at 11:45 PM and in bed at 00:45 AM. Long day, but very eventful!!! / Martin

1 comment:

AM Flynn said...

Hi Zack and Martin

I am really enjoying reading about all your adventures in Beijing. what a fantastic experience for both of you!

Keep posting and all the best for the opening of the hotel!

Remember - I have some excellent event students that will be looking for industry training :)